Sunday 24 May 2015

The First Signs of Trouble

When I was young my Diabetes was great to control. I did every blood test that could fill the book, injected each time I was suppose to, never ate what I wasn't aloud. But it wasn't easy.
 It's hard growing up and trying to be normal. You look normal, there isn't anything outwardly wrong with you, yet you can't do everything they can.
They would eat chocolate and sweets in front of me but at the time I wasn't aloud them. Having to go out of class and do my bloods and insulin (because it was a distraction to the other kids in class). But you make it work and you carry on. Of course you have good days and bad days, just like anyone else, and sometimes the kids would tease (one of the big things that would come up was about using my Diabetes as a tool to get out of classes).
 Sometimes it's just because they don't understand what Diabetes is, so to help things I set up this mini workshop with my Diabetic nurse, she came to my school and during lunch she taught my friends what Diabetes was all about and even how to inject themselves. It helped with school life a lot because half the time my friends would notice my bloods dropping quicker then I would.
 Primary school was easy when it came to my Diabetes, they where understanding and helped when they could, it also helped a lot that one of the teachers there happened to have a son who was Diabetic so she knew a lot to help when she could. It was when I started down the whole puberty route that things started to turn ugly. It's hard going through puberty at the best of things times but having your bloods out of control added on, not very peachy.

One night I was very sick, I couldn't stop throwing up, At first my mum thought it was something to do with left over stress from my exams (the judged what levels i would be placed in secondary school) but then as the night progressed and the vomiting didn't stop she started to think it was the flu or something along those lines. When it was morning and I was still ill ma took me to the hospital. Turns out that I had ketoacidosis. (It's when theres to much sugar in the blood and not enough insulin to combat with it, so the body uses fat instead, but form that you get something called ketones, to much of these and it starts to poison the body)
 It was horrible and most of the time I wasn't awake enough to know what was going on. My friends from school came to visit, my mum and step dad stayed as long as they could everyday. I got better after a week or so, my insulin was adjusted and I was sent home. Things went back to normal.
 I was still very tired the first few days home and i'd lost tones of weight (not that I had a lot to loose at that time in my life) and I even passed my exams with better grades then predicted. But it was a horrible experience and the whole family was shaken up by the whole thing but we moved forward and things went back to normal for a little while,

No comments:

Post a Comment