Sunday 9 August 2015

Teeth

Nobody really thinks about the impact on the teeth. Medicine can a profound effect on your teeth, as well as other things.

 I teeth weren't in the greatest of conditions to begin with, but when my sugars started to go out of control, I didn't notice that why were getting a little worse, then add on the whole fact of the throwing up when the DKA hit every 6 months, that really puts things on a downward spiral.
 They went a horrible glow in the dark yellow, I didn't like smiling wide, or showing my teeth. Things didn't help with all the kinds of medication I was on, or they would pump into me. Teeth may be strong in some respect but are the first to show signs of things happening.

 You have to look after your mouth, once the enamel has gone, it doesn't come back, most of mine has gone, if any is still there. My teeth with always have a yellow tint, even though I try very hard to look after them and they are whiter now. You can't help medication, sometimes it's just a side effect. All you can do is try your best in that case. But keeping control can help a lot, keeps the sugar content down, less damage can be done.
 But you got to think, it's not just your teeth. Once they start going so does other things and having nice breath will go right out the window. Some of that was from being ill, but a lot is from the mouth just not being looked after properly and swilling mouth wash ain't gunna cut it. It may help, but not properly.
 Some people don't care all that much, but you can tell a lot about a person from their teeth. It's a major part of you that everyone sees, no matter how hard you try you can't hide those babies. And once they are gone, their gone.
 It's not hard to look after them, and it's not hard looking after your sugars either. Somethings can't be helped, but the little things matter and they can add up real quick when you let things slip.

 Having those pearly whites aren't in the cards for me, but I sure try my best to look after them as much as I can. At least I worry about how I smile ... or laugh for that matter, any more.

 Diabetes may be a hidden disease but it sure can have a very obvious effect on things thats aren't hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment